Click the link below for this specific internet radio music stream available only on Saturdays. Join us every Saturday 7PM to 10PM East Coast Time / 4PM to 7PM West Coast Time as we let our hair hang down in
  • The Time Machine Radio Chat Room
  • . Live every Saturday.




    Nushu's Lisa Mychols and Tom Richards from The Waking Hours welcome you to The Time Machine



    Thursday, February 22, 2007

    Pete Townsend, Lou Reed, the state trooper, and me…


    Singer-songwriter Rachael Yamagata chimes in today with yesterday's latest adventure as a musician.


    So...

    I played a show and didn't even get to post it before it was sold out so that is the only reason I didn't bait you with an announcement of it.. ;( It had some big wigs so tix were gone in 15 secs and I added on late, but I'll fill you in here on the details…

    Joe's Pub NYC (capacity – small and intimate)
    Line up – Rachel Fuller / Jimmy Fallon / Amos Lee / moi / J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr)/Pete Townsend / Lou Reed

    It all started at 8:30 am Wednesday morning when I left with my drummer to drive to nyc – leaving plenty of time to get to a 1pm soundcheck, cuz damn if I was gonna be late for that one! Unfortunately for me I'd forgotten that mercury (planet) is retrograde (going backwards) and that will most surely screw up any electronics / travel etc. till it goes straight again. Therefore, of course my gas gauge died, or rather lied, and 10 miles onto the thruway.. well, I ran out of gas.

    So, we're sitting on the highway and I'm frantically calling my guitarist who hasn't left in his car yet and roping him into a stop at the gas station to rescue us. I'm taking pictures cuz isn't that exciting to capture every dumb adventure, and freezing cuz I've forgotten no gas means no heat, when the state trooper pulls up behind us. He comes to my window and is looking all serious and asking for my registration and why do I have diplomatic plates...And I'm thinking, well, libras are the diplomat, but I'm pretty sure I don't have diplomatic plates and fishing in the glove compartment for said info showing him jiffy lube bills and asking if that was it – no – etc… He's staring at my license and repeating my name and looking funny, and then asks why it sounds familiar. Lol. So I say I'm a musician and sometimes the local radio station plays me and he smiles and says "Rachael Yamagata! I've got your songs in my Ipod! Rachael Yamagata" at which point he kindly tells me to put my tire inspection notices away and goes off on a comedic routine that had me in stitches for 10 min. straight… "Rachael Yamagata! Girl! Times MUST be TOUGH! I mean, why are you driving this piece of shit car! Doesn't Itunes pay you anything?! I mean, girl! It's all about perception…Now I could call road side assistance for you, but you'd have to PAY for that" etc. etc.

    It was hilarious. So of course I gave him some cds and took a picture with him and the cop car, which I'd post, but I don't want to get him in trouble...I did dedicate a song to him at the show, so trooper you-know-who-you-are, many thanks!

    I did make it to soundcheck and of course was flitting nervously around and pulled the amateur card out and announced to the room that I was completely freaked out playing if front of them, but all were so very nice and lovely and beautiful so I didn't throw up on stage and lord it was great fun...Rachel Fuller is my newest crush cuz she has a stunning voice and smokes like me and is hilarious! Pete Townsend – my god – so down to earth and awesome. Graciously told us some tales of the Who and lord – played on 'Paper Doll' with me. It was surreal. Amos and J were awesome and Jimmy Fallon was just as nice as can be and a fantastic host of the evening...Lou Reed was a legend and I busted out of his dressing room sneaking a cig when I noticed the sign on the door… Eeek!

    Elephants – a capella
    Be Be Your Love
    Paper Doll
    Sunday Afternoon

    Short set, but all went well.

    The series they are doing is called 'Attic Jam' and it is creating history I believe...Their line ups are always stellar and if I'm lucky I'll get to jump on a show again sometime...Check them out online and buy tix early! I believe they filmed the whole thing so if I ever get my hands on footage I'll let you know.

    Thanks to all of them and Carrie for a surreal night.

    Xoxoxo
    r


    Posted by Rachael Yamagata









    The Time Machine




    Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 12:07 PM

    You were so lucky on the highway yesterday. When we had Jeff Daniels on the radio show, he told us how a highway state trooper had no problem giving him a ticket. Jeff is an Oscar nominee who has even portrayed cops. You'd figure that the trooper would have recogized him. I guess Jeff wasn't on his iPod. *lol

    Love Rachel Fuller. Her song "Eat Me" still rocks my boat and still gets some airplay here on Maui. It's off of her 2004 album "Cigarettes & Housework". I know that's an album title close to your heart.

    :=)




    Rachael's music has had a home on our playlists and in our hearts since her debut release. Be sure to pick up a copy of her first album, "Happenstance" and keep an eye peeled out for Rachael's upcoming release. You can get a sampling of what she's been up to lately at her website www.rachaelyamagata.com



    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home