Click the link below for this specific internet radio music stream available only on Saturdays. Join us every Saturday 7PM to 10PM East Coast Time / 4PM to 7PM West Coast Time as we let our hair hang down in
  • The Time Machine Radio Chat Room
  • . Live every Saturday.




    Nushu's Lisa Mychols and Tom Richards from The Waking Hours welcome you to The Time Machine



    Tuesday, March 27, 2007

    The Squirrel, The Pole, The Firemen and Me…


    Singer-songwriter Rachael Yamagata plays catch up online while dealing with being accident prone.

    It's official...I am accident prone. I am contemplating writing a book logging my accidents, the trials and tribulations of getting a record out, my strange influx of animal related events and the ever-present appearance of emergency officials in my daily life.

    I think I've been watching too many episodes of the Dog Whisperer because when I came upon a baby squirrel flopping in the middle of the road the other day, I was sure I could take control of the situation. Pull car over, jump out, scoop squirrel up in jacket, head to vet. Stunned little buddy (later I name him "Buddy") lay in lap with no evidence of external injuries and was quite peaceful. Little did I know squirrels bite to the bone. I didn't get bit – that's not part of the story, so no worries on that front...We had a connection.

    At the vet, I was informed that they do not receive squirrels. So, standing in reception while they gazed at me as if I hit the thing ("No, I didn't fucking hit the squirrel for your information, I came upon him after he'd been hit/ p.s. my cat left your office dead so don't look at me like I'm the killer/ where has your bedside manner gone you putz")…I asked their advice. They suggested finding a 'rehabilitator' – the only "legally issued persons allowed to handle wildlife" (another condemning glance – now I'm breaking the law apparently), letting him back out where I found him (so he could die alone in the snow), or have him euthanized – compliments of said vet. Well, Buddy looked at me and I looked at him and within seconds we were back in my car driving home, illegally.

    Buddy lay in the laundry basket resting as I tried to offer him mangos and nuts. He just lay there in shock so eventually I gave him a couple squirts of water from a turkey baster and hopped on the internet in search of nearby "rehabiliators". Found one and next thing I know I'm sitting in a house in a neighboring town with a woman cradling a beautiful pheasant and feeding it mush, pigeons cawing away (squawking/chirping – whatever they do), baby bunnies, a giant bunny the size of a mid-weight dog etc. She carefully explains to me the technique of feeding pheasant and the nature of Buddy's teeth, asks if I've had my rabies shots and shows me a spray that relaxes animals that you can get at health food stores. I ask if it works on humans. She doesn't think so.

    So now I'm playing a benefit for NY wildlife in the spring. Go Buddy.

    Let's see...In other news. Got into a car accident. Those are always fun. Someone ran a red light and hit a car, that car hit me and my drummer and we swerved into a pole. Airbags went off and what could have been bad was thankfully, not as bad. We walked away from it, although drummer's car has now been totaled. I did get some nifty pictures of ambulance emts and fireman, which I will post to go with state trooper (see previous blog). Fortunately, I loaded them into my computer before I lost my camera. Lord.

    So with my busted knee (yoga no mas), sore neck and bump on head, recent hearing loss, and rain pains of broken wrist/ busted chin past – well, I've decided I shouldn't leave the house on any full moons. How's that for a meandering blog..

    Xoxoxo
    r



    Posted by Rachael Yamagata








    Rachael's music has had a home on our playlists and in our hearts since her debut release. Be sure to pick up a copy of her first album, "Happenstance" and keep an eye peeled out for Rachael's upcoming release. You can get a sampling of what she's been up to lately at her website www.rachaelyamagata.com









    Labels:

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home