Click the link below for this specific internet radio music stream available only on Saturdays. Join us every Saturday 7PM to 10PM East Coast Time / 4PM to 7PM West Coast Time as we let our hair hang down in
  • The Time Machine Radio Chat Room
  • . Live every Saturday.




    Nushu's Lisa Mychols and Tom Richards from The Waking Hours welcome you to The Time Machine



    Wednesday, December 27, 2006

    Rachael Yamagata - Hawaii or Bust...


    Singer-songwriter Rachael Yamagata chimes in with a taste of island life.

    Waikiki. On beach. One day of total jet lag and I'm finally experiencing the outdoors rather than my hotel bed. I woke at 3:30 am this morning and made a pot of coffee, sat on my balcony and planned my day. Until, of course, I realized it was 3:30am and got back into bed.

    Kids are brave. I'm watching several right now...swimming at DUSK. In THREE feet of water. We all know what that means.

    My heart goes out in particular to the little girl behind me building a sandcastle by herself, who also happens to have a pet stuffed elephant (see next record...well, someday that is) that she keeps dragging through the sand. She's just stepped on her sandcastle and punched her elephant for no doubt, getting out of line. She's surely had a dating past similar to mine, for I know exactly how she feels..,even at the tender age of five.

    Shit. I've been spotted by the parents. I have to stop taking pictures of said little girl now. Jesus. They've just let HER go into the water. At DUSK. THREE feet. Damn if I have to be on fin duty.

    I'm here for work actually. I am one lucky son of a $..%*@. I was trying to figure out a way to stay. Don't you ever just want to drift into another space for awhile? Not talk to anyone; rediscover who you are without your friends, family, work, obligations etc.? Haven't quite mastered the art of living as I go. I like extremes too much...Like...is the wrong word....drawn to.. perhaps? It's all got to be a clean slate / all or nothing/ must start on a Monday etc. I really admire those who can, well, juggle. If I stayed here I could just regroup and watch elephants playing in the sand for a bit...

    Tomorrow is horsebackriding. The trail goes through the land of Jurassic Park, Lost and 50 First Dates. I'm so going to pretend I'm Drew Barrymore stranded on an island being chased by a TRex. This, assuming they let me cantor...fingers crossed for a gallop.

    The last time I rode horses was just before being pseudo molested by an 80 year old rancher. I say...psuedo...because he was, well, 80 and he just went in for a kiss which I awkwardly deflected before returning to cleaning out the stable. Why I didn't just run then and there I have no idea. Cornered by this ridiculous sense of duty again, to remove horse shit. Kept working several more hours before returning home to process my experience and never return again. Sort of like the fin watching I'm doing now. Minus the creepiness. Well, I guess I'm the creepy one...taking pictures of little girls and all.

    ..next day..

    On balcony. It's day. Have been up since 5 am. Waiting for horse riding adventure to begin. Saw Don Ho last night. When in Rome...He made me laugh. In fact, he told quite a few jokes about getting old, being drunk, hating...Tiny Bubbles...etc. I felt a strange affinity for his show and have now decided to never tell another joke or get drunk or perform songs I'm sick of again. All this in hopes that I don't follow the road of two shows a night for tourists and, no offense, many of the past-your-bedtime / can-I-help-you-with-your-cane persuasion. I didn't mind the deer-in-headlight children called on stage to divulge their name, age, and how they were doing in school sideshow. I'd like to call up random audience members myself and ask them things like their name, age, drink of choice and sexual preference and make a sort of family experience out of it as well. But the...entertainment... factor of the whole shabang...Well, it got me down. I'd rather be dark and brooding (which I've ruined and undermined now anyway by talking about it rather than just doing it) Ah, laughter. Tears. It's all riding the same line. Anyway, my original point was just to say I saw a legend and I'm glad I went cuz now I have a pic of me and Don Ho for my dad.

    ..next day..again..

    Back on balcony. 7:35am. Got to canter. Got to canter right up to Godzilla's footprint on road Drew drove in "50 First Dates". Loved it. We got our own private tour because the shuttle bus left us behind at hotel pick up point...Free limo ride was provided. Sweet. Went for teppan yaki / sushi dinner. We are officially tourists...Today is beach day...I will overcome my fear of sharks and get into the water. I will. I'm going to do it. I'm going to find that five year old girl and we are going to go together.

    So that's my account of Hawaii. You wanted to know. If you are still reading this you deserve an award. If this is my last transmission please know that I love you all dearly and thank you for such an enjoyable ride in life. P.S. ... in case I do get eaten by sharks tell everyone I had a premonition about it. P.P.S ...this blog is in no way meant to offend old people, Don Ho fans, those molested by ranchers, or any relative of a shark attact victim.

    Xoxox
    r


    Posted by Rachael Yamagata








    The Time Machine



    Tuesday, December 05, 2006 at 10:03 AM

    Brooding or not...you still make me laugh.

    :)

    Go ahead and take the dip. It's the land sharks that you have to be worried about...



    Rachael's music has had a home on our playlists and in our hearts since her debut release. Be sure to pick up a copy of her first album, "Happenstance" and keep an eye peeled out for Rachael's upcoming release. You can get a sampling of what she's been up to lately at her website www.rachaelyamagata.com




    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home