Click the link below for this specific internet radio music stream available only on Saturdays. Join us every Saturday 7PM to 10PM East Coast Time / 4PM to 7PM West Coast Time as we let our hair hang down in
  • The Time Machine Radio Chat Room
  • . Live every Saturday.




    Nushu's Lisa Mychols and Tom Richards from The Waking Hours welcome you to The Time Machine



    Sunday, December 10, 2006

    Joni Mitchell is My Lover!



    Singer-songwriter Lydia Gray drops in today in a creative mood:

    One thing that describes me perfectly...

    A few years ago when I was still in high school - I was driving a few friends to lunch during school. I turned on my new CD "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell and one of my close friends then said, "Who is this crap? Turn that horrible man off!" I was appalled. Joni Mitchell a man? You don't know who Joni Mitchell is?! WHAT?!


    That right there decribed the difference in me and other people my age...
    I didn't and still rarely feel like I could or can really connect with people my age.

    I appreciate old souls. Maybe it would be conceited of me to consider myself an old soul??? but in reality - I feel like I really am. I love the old style, I love old musicians, black and whites, Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. That's real talent, style and music.

    What is America doing to fail its youth like this? Nobody knows who Joni Mitchell is or Cat Stevens or Carly Simon? Okay something needs to be done.

    Mid-life crisis in the music industry and in the brainwashed youth of America. If that's you - please don't be everybody else. It's lame. Get some real taste- other than what the radio and media tell you to like. There is stuff with substance out there.

    Music is the key to a major part of my happiness. I love sad music. Depressing music. Emotionally trying music.

    The past 4 days I have been moved to tears while listening to Joni Mitchell's "River" and have become utterly obessed with it. I have two verisons (both which I must say are so amazing) Joni's and Sarah McLachlan's.

    Check it out either on Joni's album "Blue" or Sarah's new Xmas album.

    I am happy to report my exercising is going extremely well. Both Gym and Voice (today I took off from voice) but have for 10 days straight practiced. Tomorrow I am going on my 6th gym visit. I'll have abs by Dec. 1st:) I promise you that.
    Oh, I promise!!!

    Anyways, I hope you're doing well - Let me know how you are:)

    Have a great week!

    Much love,
    Lydia


    Posted by Lydia Gray





    Lydia's songs have been on our playlist the past year and you should check out her latest songs like the tasty musical treat "Can't Face Your Tears" at the links below:

    Lydia Gray's Official Website - www.lydiagraymusic.com

    Lydia Gray on MySpace Music

    Lydia Gray at Pure Volume







    The Time Machine



    December 10th, 2006

    I don't know what it is about "River" and it's power as a song. It takes me to a place in much the same way as Beth Nielsen Chapman's "Years" does from her self titled 1990 debut album...only not as lyric specific as Beth.

    Robert Downey, Jr.'s rendition of Joni Mitchell's "River" is an unbelievable performance. It almost sounds like Bob Seger in a mellow and strictly piano based record. That version along with the recent addition of Rachael Yamagata's wonderful take on that song have been getting quite a bit of spins during the past Christmas seasons. Joni Mitchell's 1971 song has always been a great song and judging by the recent slate of artists from James Taylor to Sarah McLachlan to Barry Manilow to Madeleine Peyroux to Linda Ronstadt also covering that song...it just may be a Christmas standard in the years to come. It's interesting to note that considering how far back that the song goes in Joni Mitchell's career that only recently other artists have taken a stab at it. There were the occasional versions from talented artists every few years or so since Joni's original like Rosanne Cash, Holy Cole, and Heart but Robert Downey, Jr. may have been the first to sweep in the new century of recordings. We may have to thank television writer David E. Kelly for that because he wrote the performance for Downey's character to sing on "Ally McBeal".





    1 Comments:

    At 2:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Lydia
    Love the latest Blog
    Glad you 'get' Joni, Cat and Carly
    Check out Carly's upcoming new one.
    including the 8+ minute video
    http://carlysimon.com/news/news.shtml

    Joni's BLUE is amazing!
    Carly's The Bedroom Tapes is also something pretty incredible.(as are ALL her albums)

    Bill in SF

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home